We have speculating the launch date of the 2011 Swift for quite some time
now. It seems the launch date of the new car has finally been revealed. Maruti Suzuki is launching this darling car of
The design changes made to the new car over the old one are very minor. However, Suzuki has built the car entirely from scratch in its latest iteration. The 2011 Suzuki Swift is bigger and more spacious than the current version, had refreshed and more contemporary interiors and has a larger wheelbase. The engines and transmission remains the same for the 2011 Swift, although we expect to see an auto transmission option in the new version. We have uploaded detailed pic
tures of the interior for you to make out the changes in the new car yourselves.
suzuki's position as the world leader in manufacturing compact cars is well known. With this popularity, the company put together great brains from
Keeping in mind the Indian roads, the suspension was modified and go
od ground clearance was provided. The new chassis was developed and put to rigorous track tests. Finally, an all-new car came into the market. A 2005 debutante, the Maruti Suzuki Swift has won many awards including 'the car of the year,' from various motoring associations like Overdrive, CNBC Autocar and BBC-Top Gear, for its comfort, safety features and concept car like styling. A roaring success from the get-go, the Swift is available in five versions: LXi, VXi, ZXi (petrol), and LDi and VDi (diesel). These models are differentiated by their levels of safety and comfort.
Competitive pricing, a sporty engine and unique design have made it a
very tempting option in the compact/hatchback segment. Swift has a good number of competitors namely TATA Indica, Hyundai Getz, and Chevy SRV and U-VA.
Powertrain & Performance
Peppy in traffic and smooth on the highway, the Swift with its 5-speed manual transmission offers a comfortable ride. Powering the Swift is the 1.3L engine that generates 87 bhp at 6,000 rp
m and 113 Nm of torque at 4,500 rpm, contributing to a smooth ride. It is really 'swift' in performance; it sprints from 0-100 kmph in just 10 seconds and clocks a maximum speed of 160 kmph. Swift returns 11 kmpl in city conditions and 13 km on highway.
The all-new diesel comes with the latest CRDi fuel injection system. The turbo-charged 1.3L makes 75 bhp at 4,000 rpm and 190 Nm of torque at 2,000 rpm. The low revving engine needs fewer downshifts in city conditions as there is ample power at low rpm. There are six computers on board for engine management system, electronic power steering, automatic climate con
trol, anti-lock braking system, central locking and airbag deployment.
The Swift is a sporty car; with its short wheelbase, wide, lower-profile tyres (on the ZXi) and stiff springs, it feels tauter. It is easy for cornering because of its considerable grip. The stiff suspension gives it good body control. Suspension for the Indian Swift has been developed especially to tackle speed breakers, and has a raised look.
Build & Styling
The concept car like styling of the Swift makes it standout spectacularly in traffic, while its compact dimensions allow it to squeeze into crowded parking lots. The interiors are well-appointed, simple to use, classy and surprisingly roomy for a compact car.
Swift comes in striking colours such as Solid Bright Red, Metallic Garnet Orange, Pearl Metallic Arctic White, Metallic Ozone Blue, Metallic Silky Silver, Metallic Iridium Gold, Metallic Azure Grey and Metallic Midnight Black.
As for the comfort, the Swift is fitted with front and rear electric windows. Central door locking facility is available only for the VXi and ZXi variants. All the three trims come equipped with 3-spoke urethane steering wheel. For all th
ose who need reminders, the Maruti Swift provides light off/key reminder. There is a driver's seatbelt warning lamp and door ajar warning lamp too.
The high-end Swift comes fully loaded with added safety features and accessories including automatic climate control, driver seat height adjuster, 12V accessory socket in the luggage area, electromagnetic type tailgate opener, rear window wiper and de-mister, dual front airbags, Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), keyless entry and seatbelt pre-tensioners (In the event of a crash, a pre-tensioner will tighten the belt at once, thereby preventing the occupant from a sudden jerk). Standard features on the base model include power steering, air-conditioning, brake assist, seat-belts for all seating posi
tions, child lock on rear doors and side impact beams.
Here’s the list of changes that you should expect in the 2011 Swift over its current version.
1. The headlamps on the new car are longer and bigger than the earlier version. They now sweep back further towards the front door in a bid to give the car a more front forward and sporty look.
2. The tail-lamps follow the design philosophy applied at the front and they are longer than the ones on the earlier car too. They are elongated towards the rear fender and extend further towards the rear door into the haunches. They now also have a clear lens panel housed in the tail lamp assembly running across the length of the tail-lamp.
3. At the front there is a freshly inserted crease that starts from the inner line of the headlamps and extends into the front bumper, surrounding the air-dam and making a trough-like shape.
4. The quarter panel in the rear windows has been extended further towards the back, suggesting some increase in the legroom at the back bench.
5. There is a recess at the place between the hatch door and the rear bumper. Unlike the earlier car, the hatch door doesn’t have a recess in itself for lifting it up, you have to hold it from where it ends. The horizontal crease in the rear hatch door too has been replaced with a clean look.
6. The central air dam in the front is now bigger and the fog lamps too are placed in a differently designed housing.
7. The bonnet is apparently one inch longer
8. The radiator grill which was of an angular, trapezoidal shape earlier is now more curvaceous and forms a smiley
9. Inside the cabin the car gets a brand new steering wheel and many new buttons on it
10. It seems like apart from the volume controls and other basic functions, the car in the pictures also has cruise control
11. The instrument panel is totally jazzed up with a digital readout placed between the speedo and the tacho. It seems to be quite elaborate with a lot of information available on the digital screen. There is an advanced trip computer too which gives you instantaneous and average consumption, as well as range. 12. The dashboard has been overhauled too. The materials seem to be of a better quality now and the round AC vents on the earlier car have been replaced with, angular ones with aluminium bezels on the central twins. AC vents have been replaced
13. The centre console has been totally changed and it now looks much jazzier than the drab-looking earlier version. It seems to feature an advanced stereo system along with climate control.
14. The gear shifter knob, the hand brake lever and the seats have not been changed.